Sunday, April 03, 2005

Weekend Update

Lucerna has turned into the eastern version of Ibiza. I went there on friday for Jana's friend Jana's birthday party. I like Lucerna, after all it's the place that brought together a drunken american (me) with a much prettier girl than i deserve (the gf). I enjoy the somewhat dingy atmosphere, the cheesy music, and the fact that people there are having fun. You go to some clubs and everyone is a little too drugged up, a little too concerned with how they look, and generally trying to find happiness in alcohol and lax moral activity. At Lucerna people are just happy. Except Lucerna on Friday had a big nasty injection of Britishness. The girls were unattractive and pasty, the guys were loud and in the majority. Oh yeah, I didn't mention my favorite feature of Lucerna, the usual 60/40 girl/guy ratio. This is the first place I had ever experienced that. We used to go to clubs in austin and say 'hey, where the hell are all the girls??' Apparently they were all at lucerna. Unfortunately the club is now a haven of drunk british tourists, like some spectatular sociological thesis waiting to happen. There were guys in dresses, girls in giant 'hen parties', trying to out-do the guys in moral depravity. There was one particular guy whose dancing was inspirational for everyone, though. He was some fat middle-aged british guy that seemed to be having a revelation, making hand motions like a mystic priest. Then he would suddenly start shaking like in an epileptic attack. I decided he probably should have kept his spiritual insight to himself. Last night I went to the Tulip cafe with some friends. I was a little bit drunk, and a little bit talkative. I spent about an hour or so yelling at my Slovak, Austrian, and Spanish friends about why america represented the last hope of western civilization. I wasn't making much sense, and I apologize to anyone in the vicinity (notably the rather bored gf) for my boorish behavior. We did, however, raise our glasses to the Pope. John Paul II, or 'The Deuce', as I call him in my less lucid moments, was a superstar. I saw him in Rome, and I was smitten like a schoolgirl reading 'Tiger Beat'. The man was electrifying, and it's hard for me to imagine the church without him. Nazdravi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home