Friday, March 18, 2005

Conference of the Celts

Happy St. Hangover day to everyone! I successfully celebrated St. Patrick’s day with a pint of Guinness, so I have fulfilled my Tribal obligations. I went out last night with two guys from work, Craig and Aidan, who are Scottish and Irish, respectively. I arrived at a Czech pub around 10, to a large table of folks, most of whom I did not know. This included the aforementioned Celts, along with their Czech girlfriends. And Aidan’s girlfriends’ brother, who was passed out on the table. We drank a few pivos, then struck off for some good Irish drinking. Aidan and Craig both managed to piss off their girlfriends, because they were intent on staying out as long as possible. This led to incessant text messaging and grumbling on their part, but it was good in the long run. We cut off the fat from the group, and had a lean drinking team of the 2 guys, me, and the severely wasted Czech brother. The first place we went was Martin’s, an Irish pub right down the street. To our astonishment, it was closing at 11:30. Please allow me to bold that: An Irish pub was closing before midnight on St. Patrick’s day. We implored them for a Guinness, even brandishing our ‘authentic Irishman!’, to no avail. So Aidan decided to lead us on our quest for a Guinness. We walked for about 10 miles to find a place, at which point I thought my head was going to explode, I needed a beer and a urinal so badly. Molly Malones is where we ended up, and it was quite agreeable. We shared a pint of Guinness, and generally enjoyed the ‘Riverdance’ music playing over the speakers. Then they closed at 1. That’s right: A crowded Irish Pub, on St. Patrick’s day, closed for absolutely no reason at 1. After this we wandered around for a while. We walked into a nonstop pizza joint – and we walked right out when they told us that their prices were double what was on the menu. We ended up at Popocafepetl, where we finished celebrating our Celtic heritage with a variety of drugged teens, odd-looking foreigners, and an extremely wasted 30-year old woman who was dancing wildly for about 2 hours. Good times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home