Tuesday, April 18, 2006

In Praise of Boredom

I came across this gem of an article while embarking on my usual internet quest during a slow afternoon...

These are tough times for boredom. Television stalks us everywhere, from SUV back seats to elevators. We squander hours online, plunging through Internet wormholes. (Recently, I found myself at the website of the Argentine Air Force and suddenly wondered, like an awakening drunk, how did I get here? In slow moments at work, I don't lean back and contemplate the Big Picture; I check in on Gawker.) We burn time trading moronic instant messages and emails; one friend regularly sends me links to stories about misbehaving chimps. And, now, the proliferation of handheld diversions--the BlackBerry, the video iPod--is dealing a death blow to the idle moment. Especially in Washington, it has become permissible to check one's BlackBerry mid-conversation. And, just between us, I may once have glanced at mine at a urinal.

1 Comments:

At 4/18/2006 06:36:00 PM, Blogger sarah said...

"THOSE in Government must stop giving lame excuses and irrelevant answers to the people...

Please be mindful that the people are now much wiser and will not simply swallow what we say,” said Datuk Ti Lian Ker (BN-Teruntum) today of the answers, which were long-winded and filled with technical details. "

that's the whole article... sersiouly-http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Tuesday/NewsBreak/20060418181420/Article/index_html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home