Sunday, April 16, 2006

Easter

Happy Easter everyone! My holiday will be spent hanging around with the gf, cooking, and reading "The decline and fall". I had considered mass this morning, but decided that spending 2 hours listening to an Easter mass in Czech would probably be more of a liability for my faith. Sloth and relaxation will take prevalence, accompanied by some homemade goulash. I will also be leaving out some of the more amusing aspects of the czech holiday. As is custom in this country, the men go around and whip women with willow branches. The women then give a painted egg, or even better, a shot of vodka. In theory it sounds fantastic, but in practice it is actually just a bunch of drunk guys hitting girls with sticks. Generally ignored in the cities, I'm happy that Jana's town is too big to celebrate with the same ferocity that the isolated burgs of the czech countryside partake. And finally, I must elaborate upon my exile from beer. Well, perhaps elaboration is unnecessary. I haven't had beer since sometime in the 1880's, and my body is definitely feeling it. Reinvigorated, slim, lithe and powerful, this temple of the mind has not been defiled with the golden brew in so long that it is losing itself to the decadence of asceticism. But Bacchus had returned, and his multitudes will flow with vengeance. In other words, I'll have a beer with my goulash. Happy Easter!

2 Comments:

At 4/17/2006 04:21:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"the greatest work of history in the English language" huh? Does it live up to this claim? Is it worth reading all those pages?

-K

 
At 4/18/2006 02:31:00 PM, Blogger nick said...

It's pretty good, especially if you're interested in this sort of thing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home