Friday, March 10, 2006

St. Patrick saves the day

I recall that there was a book published a few years ago titled "How the Irish Saved Civilization". This post is not about that. As previously mentioned on this illustrious blog, I have given up beer for Lent. I'm not entirely sure that this bit of self-flagellation is bringing me any closer to Our Lord and Saviour, but I've held myself together so far, and have no intention of giving in. My Irish colleague, Aidan, just came by to discuss plans for Saint Patrick's Day. Aidan and I, along with our Scottish colleague Craig and a few others, celebrated last year's Saint's day with such religious fervor that your average bearded fundamentalist would be proud. But, with my fasting going strong, I had to decline Aidan's invitation for an encore. The Irishman would have none of that. He told me that it's 'perfectly acceptable' for the average denizen of the emerald isle to break their fast for Saint Patrick's day. As a descendant of intrepid Irish settlers to the new world, I am expected to hold true to the beliefs and traditions of my ancestors. Furthermore, St. Patrick's is a religious festival in which consumption of beer is another way of bringing Man and God into spiritual union. Thank you Aidan, ancestors, and brewers. And thank you, Saint Patrick. Thank God for the Irish.

6 Comments:

At 3/15/2006 01:42:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you ask Kyle where he and Brady lived in NYC? Was it 77th? Also can you ask if he knows where the affordable housing is (or semi affordable)? Riannan got accepted to Columbia, and she wants me to live with her and her hubby. So we're gonna start looking for places.

 
At 3/15/2006 06:20:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cannot BELIEVE you gave up beer for lent. Almost every blog you write has to do with drinking beer. You are sooo strong. Especially around St. Patrick's Day when we, as Irwins, are celebrating our heritage by drinking beer! I am also excited that St. Patricks day falls on a Friday. It hasn't happened for me since the year before I got pregnant and I was so excited I didn't have to work the next day. Now, I will be hanging out with my mom. I will still have a drink for the Irish. You are crazy! Don't you know that the new thing is to give up something for lent that you don't really want in the first place? I think I am going to give up eating lima beans!

Michele

 
At 3/15/2006 09:27:00 AM, Blogger nick said...

Wait - Riannan got into Columbia? What? I don't understand.

 
At 3/15/2006 09:27:00 AM, Blogger nick said...

Wait - Riannan's married? And you're going to live with a married couple? And you're going to live in NYC?

What?

 
At 3/20/2006 05:41:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

to my fellow anonymous blogger (well i guess this gives away my anonymity, damnit): I lived at 76th and 1st. the 77th street subway stop was the closest. there is no semi-affordable housing in Manhattan. well there is, but they're called projects. your best bet is probably the upper east. columbia is supposed to be in a cool neighborhood on the upper west, and i think its far enough north the prices may be a little lower up there. if you want affordable housing look in hoboken. people who live there love it. i went out there once and it was fun. there's a train that just goes to and from hoboken, so its about as convenient as living way up on the upper east/west. but its not manhattan living. so you are sacrificing some things. upper east/west are where most of the young people who can't afford to live in the village live. there's also an area called murry hill thats popular with the kiddies. its somewhere around 30th and 2nd i think. this chick i've been hooking up with for the past year or so might be needing someone to move into her place this summer. its really nice and reasonably affordable(for nyc). 54th and 10th.

 
At 3/22/2006 11:38:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the info. You're saying she'd need a roomie? Define affordable. haha. I need to move at the end of June, so let me know. Thanks! p.s. almoles@smcm.edu

 

Post a Comment

<< Home