Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Moderation

The trip to Croatia was fantastic. Warm pebbled beaches, crystal clear ocean, and overpriced beer. So in some ways it’s good to be back in the CR as winter descends. And it is coming. Like an ominous sign from a pagan animal-god, winter is lurking, sending its dark tendrils about over the landscape, and depressing this little immigrant. Croatia was warm and sunny while I was there, pretty much every day consisted of lying on the beach in 75-85 degree temperatures. My sunburn was moderate, my facial hair was untrimmed, and my freckles made their long-awaited entrance, to much fanfare. Prague, on the other hand, is an enemy of those freckles. Sure enough, the moment I get off the bus, a cold breeze blows in. Today it is probably 60, dark, and rainy. The trees are all confused, and seem to be losing their leaves already. So I’m preparing. Long dark winter…it’s survivable with the help of pubs and friends. Walking around the icy central square isn’t so bad if you have a cup of mulled wine. And those icy nights are much more pleasant if you’re friends with a Czech girl. I will defeat winter with the indulgence of God, as the only way to get through it is to break as many sins as possible while avoiding those damn lightning bolts. Or as I call it, ‘moderation.’

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home