Monday, August 29, 2005

Down to the Balkans. Again


IMG_2092
Originally uploaded by nickmoles.

Back in '02, when I was still a bright-eyed student travelling around Europe, I decided to head down to croatia. I had no idea what was there, where to go, or how cool it was. I wrote down some hearsay and third-hand stories about the place, purchased a ticket, and went.

Much to my surprise Croatia turned out to be a beautiful country, almost untouched by tourist hoardes. The country had fought an independance war against Yugoslavia in '95, and still bore many scars. I remember waking up on the train, about 2 hours out from split, and going through abandoned and ruined villages.

Nonetheless, Split, Dubrovnik, and a couple of the islands I visited were great. Beaches were practically empty as I went at the end of May, before the summer travel season in Europe begins. Accomodation was dirt cheap - around 10 dollars per night.

But this time things were a little bit different...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home