Tuesday, February 15, 2005

On Language

I am definitely not a polyglot. My grasp of the English language is only slightly less tenuous then that of the Leader of the Free World. But the fact that English is spreading like an STD makes me happy. Next time I'm in Ulaan Baator apparently I'll be able to order some roast goat. But I am learning a foreign language right now - Czech. This goes hand in hand with most of my stupid moves - I'm going to learn one of the most useless foreign languages on the planet. I mean, even Czechs acknowledge their language is useless. But it's fun, and I live here, so i'm going to take the plunge. One thing that never made any sense to me was the fact that Czech and Slovak were different languages. They could all understand each other. Hell, they were one country for 80 years. But apparently the youth has decided that mutual incomprehension is the wave of the future. This is okay with me - truthfully I wasn't going to understand slovak anyway. But due to my romantic relationship, I am going to end up with the accent of a Moravian shepherd. Bah.

1 Comments:

At 2/16/2005 03:59:00 PM, Blogger sarah said...

ohmygoodness, i totally linked the same mongolian article as you without even knowing it! please don't stare at the computer screen with the simple-mind-simple-pleasures look. its amusing to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home