Wednesday, November 09, 2005

My name is Stavropot

Name days are one of the odder celebrations your noble correspondent has encountered in the Czech Republic. Every day has a particular ‘name’, usually the celebration of a Saint’s feast day. For example – Dec 6th is Mikulas, as it’s St. Nicholas’ feast day. On that day, oddly enough, I’m expected to hand out candies to my co-workers, while they congratulate me on having been given a name at birth. It’s undeniably awkward, giving candy to people I barely know while they fake a smile and are secretly simmering with hatred at this uncoordinated American lout who eats all the cookies in the break room. So today’s nameday schedule looked like this: NAMEDAYS Today: Bohdan Tomorrow: Evžen Prompting this exchange: Me (in email) - What the hell!?!?!?1 Jana - What? Me - Those aren't names. Matthieu - Evžen is Eugene in Czech… I agree, I don’t like the Czech translation… Jana - They are – Evžen – slavný lovec žen (for non czech speakers: Evzen, famous hunter of women) Me - Evžen Moles - My first son. Evžen Constantine Moles - Even better. Evžen Constantine Moles the Third - Just for the hell of it. Incidentally, I think i'll have another keg party on my name day. I'm going to send out elaborate invitations and confuse people into thinking I have no idea what the nameday is. That way I can pretend to be disappointed when they don't bring gifts or get angry and berate them for not wearing furry monkey suits. Lots of opportunity for mischief...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home